The Environmental Health Unit of the Ministry of Health firmly believes and is fully convinced that in order to provide quality environmental health service to the community the following are indispensable:
- An open system of communication and collaboration within the Environmental Health Unit, the remainder of the health sector, the private sector, government departments and the community.
- Good leadership in the application of current environmental standards.
- An interdisciplinary holistic and integrated approach to solving environmental health problems.
- The consistent use of data in decision-making.
- Positive attitude and behavioural change among staff.
Main activities of the program include:
- Inspection of foods, meats and poultry.
- Inspection of food establishments (grocery stores, restaurants, meat shops, liquor establishments, fast foods outlets, panades shops etc.).
- Monitoring of water quality (collection of water samples for bacteriological and chemical analysis and free residual chlorine titleing of public water supplies).
- Monitoring of solid waste, liquid waste and sewage management.
- Vaccination of domestic animals (dogs and cats) against rabies, investigation of all animal bites/exposures to suspect and confirmed rabid animals.
- Investigation of communicable diseases and pesticide intoxications
- Management of disasters