The Ministry of Health, in collaboration with the Ministries of Agriculture and Education and supported by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), and other international partners launched the Belize Food Based Dietary Guidelines (FBDGs) for Belize on Friday February 10th at the House of Culture in Belize City.
The Guidelines include a culturally based graphic presentation depicting a Food Basket and showcases the distribution of food groups that should be included in daily diets and eight specific guidelines. The guidelines are:
• Choose different types of food from all food groups daily
• Eat more of different types of local fruits daily
• Eat more vegetables daily. Choose different types
• Choose to eat more natural and ground foods everyday
• Limit your intake of fats, sugar and salt
• Use unprocessed seasonings in food preparation and cooking
• Practice good hygiene when buying, storing, preparing and cooking foods
• Keep active. Make physical activity a part of your daily routine
These Guidelines will be used to assist Belizeans in improving health and nutrition practices and provide practical advice appropriate for local customs, dietary patterns, economic conditions and lifestyles. A FBDGs brochure and booklet was also available to further inform and educate other stakeholders and the public.
For more information contact:
Ministry of Health