HECOPAB utilizes the strategies that are outlined within the Caribbean Charter for Health Promotion in its operations. Therefore, the focus of the unit is not only on disease prevention and control, but on the promotion of health and wellness, where people’s health is seen as a positive resource for living.
The strategies therefore include:
• Formulating healthy public policy
• Reorienting health services
• Empowering communities to achieve well-being
• Creating supportive environments
• Developing/increasing personal health skills
• Building alliances with special emphasis on the media